Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Change and transformative learning at Nissan Motor Company

The following story was written by Ms. Chieko Kamiyama, a manager in the Global Marketing and Sales Planning Department, to express her experience with CoachingOurselves and those of her colleagues.   


Nissan Motors has introduced CoachingOurselves to its Planning and Design Department in the aim of improving the quality of management, especially the people management ability throughout the manager layers. Approximately 100 managers have participated in CO sessions for three years since 2008.  

Some managers commented, "It has been the best training program I've experienced over the 30 years since I joined the company." 

This is only one of many positive feedback statements that are given by the participants; the future participants also have high hopes for CO.


 “Through CoachingOurselves, I realized that it's very important for managers to have time for reviewing their team members & themselves regularly.  As I discussed various issues with my colleagues, I could find out many things about myself.  The findings are most proper, not novelties. The facts were that I couldn't execute some things well even though I understood their theories.  I believe that we can improve whenever, if we are aware of our failings, accept them and be eager to improve.  But actually it's very difficult to accept oneself as not being able to do things well.  This training made me realize that other people are also distressed but make an effort. It also gave me the opportunity to accept my failings.”   
Chieko KAMIYAMA Manager Global Marketing and Sales Planning Department Global Marketing Division

No comments:

Post a Comment